Thursday, May 30, 2013

Run like the Wind


Tuesday I was at the farm. 
I can't seem to say enough how therapeutic I find it going there.

At one point I happen to look out toward the far pasture to see Cozmo going for a run.  His long, white mane and tail flowing behind him.
His breeding is the Haflinger breed.  They have gold- light or dark- body coloring, white socks and a beautiful white flowing mane and tail. He sports a white blaze down his face.
The breed is build broad, sort of drafty, yet as all horses, they are strong and can go fast.  
Seeing him run made me feel good to.  Like"Yay, Go for it".  So free. 

I haven't ridden in a time, and seeing him run reminded me of the times I have had the experience of riding with the wind in my face going fast.  What a thrill. It's so freeing.
When I was in high school, many moons ago, I volunteered for a time at a riding stable.  I cleaned for a chance to ride.  For a little while the other kids and I would take turns riding a horse the owner had bought to resell.
Then there was a time it was just me and another boy there.  The owner let me ride her horse.  She had palomino coloring- gold body, white main and tail.  I think she was a quarter horse. 
Similar to Cozmo who isn't a young horse, Star was about 22 yrs old.  Yet she had spunk still in her as Cozmo does. I'd ride her around the yard. The barn was set sort of on a hill.  When we'd get to that part she'd insist in cantering up the hill every time. 
I certainly honed my skills through that.  She was attentive too.  If I seemed a little unsure she'd go a little slower. 

There was one time in early spring.  We started around the yard, but there was a bit of snow still in areas, so I turned her around to go back up a slight incline the way we had come.  She seemed rather happy to be out.  As we got to the end of the fence she looked back at me on her back.  Her eyes twinkling and ears turning back and forth.
I sensed what she wanted, "lets go fast up incline".  There was only a little snow there maybe barely an inch.  I thought and barely spoke, "yay, OK" when she went into the most flowing trot up the incline. The cold wind brushed my face. Her warm body was beneath me- I rode her a lot bareback. Her hoof steps were rhythmic crunching sounds in the snow. 
What a ride that was that day. 

Run sound and free.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment