Thursday, June 27, 2013

Like Speed?

-->
Like speed?

It's been hot lately.

I got to LAH farm as early as I could to do my volunteer work.
- though it's not easy to get there really early since the kids are still in school and I work as the monitor at the school's breakfast.
After school work, I eat a breakfast and then get ready to go.
I made sure to put sun screen on and to have water with me.

Deb's been riding Lady at shows on the weekends. Cool.
Deb seems to especially like the speed events, as barrel races and gymkhana. They did good. She mentioned she hadn't really done shows before so this was new for her. They're enjoying it. Sounds like the two of them are good partners.
She shared her pictures with me.
Cool
I mentioned I have showed before though not speed events.
I did shows in Berkley that had equitation, trail, and low jumper classes.
She likes the Speed events. Like speed.
me- not so much.
Though it is fun.

Not'in like feeling the wind in your face and really moving.

There was one lesson I was riding a black QH.  Instructor Carol asked me to do a canter.  A canter is sort of like a gallop but slower--and technically a three beat motion.
Note- riding some horses at a canter can feel like riding a moving rocking chair,  rolling forward and back while motion forward.  cool
I had had a few months of lessons and was feeling quite comfortable.  I asked for a canter lightly and we went.  We were mov'in.  woot.
Halfway down the long side of the arena she asked me to slow down and change direction.  I did so- sort of aw, OK- yet smoothly.
She asked me if I thought it was a canter or gallop.  I was  like "um".
She said, "That was a gallop".

"Oh, I thought I felt the wind in my face", I said with a big smile.

I'm sure she felt good too since I was clearly at ease with it.

Another time I was riding Instructor Carol's thoroughbred, Cameo, in lessons.   Cameo was going OK. 
There was another student I knew that was watching me too in my lesson.  I guess they were talking amongst each other.
Carol asked me to canter in 2-point position.
2-point position- like a hunter or jumper rides. I've done 2 point at trot and walk.
My first attempt down one long side wasn't quite right I bumped back into saddle because I didn't quite have my feet at the right position. I softly said, "sorry Cameo, didn't quite have it".  I kept riding at canter - seat in.  Carol looked at me to try again.
I was like OK.  I knew how to correct it.
Around the short end of arena Cameo looked at me in a "waiting" manner.  At the corner I set up in 2 point position and took a small amount of her mane between my fingers for "just in case".   This time I "got it".
There was a slight glance back at me, then Cameo lunged forward into a gallop.  Man, it felt good.
Halfway down the long side I could feel the position right too.  A Tia Chi kind of position.  Like nothing could knock me over. Amazing.  I let go of the mane between my fingers.  I was in balance with her.  At the corner I asked her to adjust through the turn.  She responded-  ..made a great turn at high speed.
The two of them at the other end of the arena yelled and woot-ed, "Go Lisa".   Oh, what fun.  I rode her the full arena then slowed down.
So cool.

Pride.

So yah, sometimes it's great. 





No comments:

Post a Comment