Sunday, June 9, 2019

Missy Turn on a Dime, Part 2

Turn on a Dime

We would work on connection,  being relaxed and supple.   It took focus and practice.  
We were successful, little by little, at  being relaxed and working together.   
During the walking cool down at the end of lessons, I would spend most of the time with my feet in the stirrups,  only occasionally taking my feet out to stretch. She got used to me doing that.  It was good.  
It was good, that is as long as I was paying attention.  
Quarter horses are bred for ranch work and need  to be able to turn and move quick. They can "turn on a dime". 
Well one day during walking cool  down, I made the mistake of relaxing so much I started to zone out.  
She must of heard something.   Though I didn't know what.   It could have been the wind blowing.   I didn't know.  But she got startled.   
She turned so quick.  I normally would move with her.  But this time I was left behind.  She went one way, while I slipped the other way  and fell off. 
I landed on my side in the dirt. 
I remember thinking, "She can be a nervous horse and she's probably half way down the ring going toward Carol."  
Instead when I looked up, I discovered she was standing right next to me.  Her head down at my level on the ground.  
She look at me like "What happened.   You fell off." 
I'm not supposed to fall off, but go with her.  
I looked at her and said reassuringly,  I'm ok". 
I got up. 
I was a little sore and stiff from the fall. We took care.  

I was now a member of the Dust Club. 
  
I got better  and got back on with riding her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment