Saturday, June 1, 2019

"Missy" Meeting, Part 1

Meeting

In the 1990's, I took riding lessons at Haskins farm in Berkley, MA. Carol LeBalnc was my riding instructor.   

"Missy" (aka "Miss545") was a broodmare at Haskins farm. The first time I saw her was when she had a foal.  

I got to the barn early to get ready for my lesson.   One of the girls came over to me and asked me if I saw the new foal.  I told her I hadn't.   "Let's go. ", she said.   We went to the barn where they were.  In front of the stall was a stool so you could look in.  We both peered in. The foal lay asleep.   "Missy" stood over her foal.  It was a big foal. 
The girl said "Isn't he (the foal) beautiful?"
I replied, "Yes.  And his mom is too." I couldn't stop looking at Missy.  She was beautiful.  
Missy was a dark, almost black quarter horse.  She was elegant.  She had a little more refine body type more like a racing horse.  She had a small star on her forehead.  
We left to go to lessons.   
I knew she was a broodmare. One of the owners owned her.  

What I didn't expect would happen. 

Carol at times would have me ride different horses.  
I would get to the barn and find Carol in the indoor ring or office .  She'd let me know who to go get ready for my lesson.   I'd go get the horse I was to ride.  I'd groom and  tack up the horse .  When ready, we'd go into the ring for our lesson.  
One day she was at the fence of the ring.  When I approached she told me to go get "Missy". She knew I knew who Missy was.  
I was suddenly quite excited.  "Missy. I get to ride Missy. Wow. " 
I went and got her.  I got her ready.  I was excited about it.  
She was a little nervous. I was a new person to her.  I felt a little nervous too.  
Yet with each lesson and time together we got to know each other.  
She was a mare with a strong motherly instinct.  She seemed to be a worry wart.

We learned and grew together, under Carol's teaching.  







                                                                                Pastel Portrait of Missy



No comments:

Post a Comment